Emerging Leaders Program prepares rising Black leaders for professional success.
Who should apply?
When is the Program?
October 2022 - April 2023
Sessions are generally held once a month on a consecutive half day Friday (12 - 5 pm) and half day Saturday (8 am - 12 pm).
Where is this located?
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA
Sessions are held in person on the CMU campus unless circumstances cause the need for remote learning.
How much does it cost?
About the Program
The Emerging Leaders Program supports Black professionals with higher level aspirations who are currently individual contributors or managers of people.
This program will hone the skills new leaders need to move into higher levels of management, successfully navigate challenges they may encounter as leaders of color and ensure their strategic rise up the organizational ladder.
This 12-session program is presented by The Advanced Leadership Institute in partnership with Carnegie Mellon University and in collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh, Robert Morris University, and Duquesne University. Participants will sharpen the hard and soft skills necessary for effective leadership within the context of the rising Black professional. Participants will master topics such as executive presence and managerial effectiveness, organizational culture, negotiation strategy, mentorship and feedback, and building successful teams – all while addressing relevant potential roadblocks and how to surmount them.
Objectives And Expectations
- Develop personal leadership strategies and define professional goals
- Build and sustain a strong and supportive professional network
Building Equity In Your Career
- Executive presence and professional image
- Giving and receiving feedback
- Peer to peer mentoring and resilience
Navigating Organizational Culture
- Authentic leadership
- Networking to meet your professional needs
Business Insight For Success
- Negotiation strategies
- Innovation and creative problem solving
Business Related Finance Insight
- Leveraging business intelligence
- Finance fundamentals
Exemplifying And Driving Performance
- Work strategies to optimize performance
- Understanding management and the path to successful leadership